Friday, February 11, 2011

Blank Canvas

Hello world! It seems like it's been a million years.

I had a conversation with a friend about the mood/feeling/emotion that artists can create or give off through their work. He seemed to think that if a person invested enough effort into it then they could experience a feeling that was totally outside of themselves; that they could feel something that was unrelated to their personality and memory. At least that's what I think that he was saying.

At the time I was skeptical. I didn't feel like a person was capable of experiencing anything without having their perception of that experience be colored by their spirit and memories. I told him so.

I think that I have changed my mind. I was listening to some beautiful music today. It was music that I have loved for a long time now, but I was listening to it in a way that I never had before. I felt a way that I never before felt. It was like a new facet was being chipped into the rough gem that is my life. I couldn't connect this new feeling with anything I had ever before experienced. It couldn't be categorized using my current lexicon. This feeling had no home inside my being but I loved it so much that I was forced to make one for it.

I have no idea if these songs will do anything for anyone else. You are welcome to try it. Listen in this order and at a high volume. Listen to them without a goal and with nothing on your mind.



2 comments:

  1. That's cool. I think you found a key with that last sentence- "Listen to them without a goal and with nothing on your mind." Maybe if we bring a blank canvas to an artist, they can paint something on it that we have never experienced before...

    ReplyDelete
  2. While listening to this music with no goal in mind, a vision of a modern dance concert came tumbling into my brain. Wow.

    ReplyDelete